As hard as home and business owners work to maintain and protect their properties properly, sometimes, Mother Nature has other ideas. It’s a helpless feeling when inclement weather wreaks havoc on a residence or a commercial building. You’re left with a mess to clean up and a long list of extra expenses you didn’t plan for, all due to circumstances beyond your control.
Spring is one of those volatile seasons when heavy wind, rain, — and sometimes even hail — can pose a real threat to your property. At ServiceMaster Assured Cleaning, a leading provider of water damage restoration services in Reading, PA, we’ve seen the devastating impact that nature can have on homes and businesses throughout our area and how storms can create unexpected upheaval in people’s lives. Our business is helping customers clean up after disasters, but we also want to help prevent trouble whenever possible.
While heavy spring rain can certainly cause enough damage on its own, it often exposes existing problems with a home or work facility that need to be addressed. This infographic illustrates a few examples.
You can’t control the weather, but you can take steps to help prepare your home or business for bad weather. Here’s a quick checklist to follow:
- Schedule a roof inspection. A professional will be able to tell if your roof is vulnerable to leaks and in need of repair or replacement.
- Clean all gutters and downspouts. Ensure that your home’s drainage system is free and clear of debris and damage.
- Trim all trees and shrubbery on your property. Weak branches and overgrown vegetation can get caught up in high winds and cause serious damage to property.
- Have your sump pump checked and maintained. Sump pump failure is a common cause of basement flooding, so it’s important to make sure yours is functioning properly. If you don’t have a sump pump and your property is prone to flooding, consider installing one.
- Ask your insurance company about flood coverage. Flood damage can be extremely costly, ruining everything from flooring to furniture to commercial equipment. Insurance can provide peace of mind in the event of an emergency.
If you’ve experienced a flood at your home or commercial facility or have noticed signs of water damage and need mold remediation in Lebanon, PA, and surrounding communities. ServiceMaster Restore is here to help. We offer 24/7 emergency service throughout the Berks County region, so contact us today to request a free estimate or schedule a visit.